Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

A+ Mommy Gets an F

You know how sometimes you think you are going to be the A+ mommy and you have a great idea. So, you decide that you are going to create a fun Valentine's project for your child's classmates. Especially since the school district you are in has decided to remove any holiday enjoyment by not allowing any fun food for holidays or birthdays. Don't get me started on that one. That's right for birthdays they can bring a non-food item. The district suggests a pencil or sticker...woohoo! I'm sure my kid would be da bomb if he brought a sticker.

So, for Valentine's Day I suggested we make heart shaped crayons for the class. I got a box of crayons, we unwrapped them all, broke them, and put them into a heart shaped mold. They came out beautiful, see...




They came out really cute and colorful. We still need to put them on cards and prettify them for giving out on V-Day. But, a little known secret...these A+ Valentine's went F at home. The first batch turned out really cute. The second batch were on their way to cute. The oven timer went off, I got the oven mitts on, went to remove the mold, almost made it, and this happened.



Need a closer look?



Although you may be thinking that perhaps a rainbow pteradactyl came flying through my kitchen and pooped, it is really melted crayon wax all over my counter, cabinets, oven,and floor. Oh joy. I do have a tip for you though. If you are ever in this situation, this is how you get it out. You take a Pampered Chef scraper and get as much of it off as you can by scraping. Then you get an iron (I protected it with foil to avoid waxy clothes later) and some paper towels and iron the mess up. Someone else said brown paper bags work well also. When I got to the sections where the iron couldn't reach, I got a wet paper towel, ironed it, and used the steaming hot paper towel to re-melt the wax and wipe it up.

This was a slow process, but it worked. So, A+ craft, F for execution.

No comments:

Post a Comment